What’s Causing Your Sensitive Teeth?
Does a tall, cold glass of iced tea inspire thoughts of dread instead of refreshment? Does brushing your teeth end in tears? If so, you may be suffering from sensitive teeth and gums. You’re not alone; it’s a common reason people seek professional dental care. Tooth sensitivity is treatable, and once you know the cause, you can learn how to help sensitive teeth become more tolerant to cold, heat, and other triggers. The following list can help.
Biggest Causes of Tooth Sensitivity
- You’re brushing too hard or using a hard-bristled toothbrush. This can wear down enamel and make sensitive nerves more accessible. Be gentle when brushing, and switch to a soft toothbrush.
- There is decay around the edges of a filling. Old fillings may fracture or leak, and acids and bacteria can lead to enamel breakdown. In most cases, replacing the filling will solve the problem.
- You have receding gums due to gum disease. Your dentist can help by applying a sealant and treating the gum inflammation.
- You have a cracked or chipped tooth. See your dentist in Center City Philadelphia as soon as possible.
- You’ve had a recent dental procedure. Some sensitivity after a root canal, extraction, or filling is common. If it continues, see your dentist to rule out infection.
- You’re grinding your teeth at night, which can expose dentin and allow irritants access to nerve tissue. Ask your dentist about a custom night guard.
- Tooth-whitening ingredients in your toothpaste, mouthwash, or other products could be causing sensitivity. If you’re suspicious, try switching brands.
- Alcohol or other mouthwash ingredients are causing sensitivity. Try a neutral rinse, or don’t use mouthwash at all.
- Acidic foods can increase pain. Avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, pickles, and other acidic foods and beverages to reduce symptoms.
Seek professional dental care, since tooth sensitivity can be caused by serious underlying problems. Your dentist may recommend special toothpastes or treatments to strengthen enamel and reduce the symptoms of your sensitive teeth and gums.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Center City Philadelphia, call Gentle Dental of Center City today at (215) 941-5634 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Center City Philadelphia. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Center City, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Center City.